Permits are required for access to the trail network and are available at Village Cycles for cash or card transactions, and also along the network by using Snapscan and/or Zapper.
The network is maintained year round by a dedicated group of individuals and currently get no financial contribution from any other party and rely solely on permit sales as an income.
Marshals, farmers, landowners as well as any local annual member have the right to ask whether you have a valid permit.
NO REGIONAL Permits (Winelands/Tygerberg) are valid on our network, and these permitholders are required to have a day pass or annual permit for our network.
With nearly 70km of trails at our disposal, our network can be roughly split into 4 routes:
-Green Route (6km, easy)
-Blue Route (12km, easy to moderate)
-Red Route (30km, moderate to tough)
-Black Route (65km, tough)
We ask riders to ALWAYS obey the trail signage and avoid following downloaded, often aged, GPX files. Regular, sometimes seasonal, changes on private land occur regularly and in order to maintain a good working relationship with the landowners, we need you to cooperate and follow the route markers.
The trail network is proud to be associated with events such as the Wines 2 Whales, and have also hosted various stages for the ABSA Cape Epic in recent years.
Other annual events include the Walker Bay Outdoor - a adventurous weekend filled with various disciplines including trail running and mountain biking. We also host the Brewery 2 Brewery every year on their day 2 leg when they race from Greyton to Hermanus.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for updates.
Contact Kobus – 071 862 1440
SADLY OUR TRAIL NETWORK SUFFERED A MASSIVE LOSS DURING THE RECENT SEPTEMBER FLOODS.
While teams have been working hard to repair the trails, certain sections will not be available in the near future.
Please visit our Facebook page for more recent maps and information.
• Use the trail at own and absolute risk
• Only permit holders are allowed on the trails
• Do not cycle, walk or run alone
• Abide to Portage, Horse and Dangerous notifications
• No litter/ no smoking/ no fires/ no shouting is allowed
• Stay on the marked route
• No quads, motorbikes and/or vehicles (excluding those of landowners and their staff) are allowed on the route and will be confiscated
• E-Bikes are allowed – no electric motorcycles or vehicles are allowed
• Obey the instructions of cycling marshals and land owners on the trails
• Report any transgressions immediately to KOBUS – 071 862 1440
• The trails are clock wise, no ‘against traffic’ is allowed (the first +- 1 km is two way traffic)
• NO CYCLING allowed in the Fernkloof Nature Reserve from Rotary Way, or down towards town from Rotary Way – PLEASE OBEY THE “NO CYLCING BEYOND THIS POINT” SIGNAGE
EMR Ambulance services – 076 585 0899
Schalk – 082 591 3351
Kobus – 071 862 1440
By buying a permit the participant acknowledge that they fully understand and accept that such activity (mountain biking/trail running/hiking/cycling) shall be undertaken at the participants absolute own risk and undertake on behalf of themselves and the applicant to indemnify, hold harmless and absolve DUSTY FEET, Kobus Stofberg, Hermanus Adventures and it owners and staff, The Hemel and Aarde Trails, the owners of the land on which trails pass and all their associated companies and organizations and their employees and representatives acting in such capacity, against and from any claims whatsoever which may arise in connection with any loss and/or damage to the person and/or property of the applicant and the course of such activities.